Saturday, November 6, 2021

Elder Renlund

Yesterday Hen and I were getting breakfast in the Delta Lounge before boarding our flight to Hawaii when Hen discovered, that less than 20 feet from us,s at one of our dear apostles Elder Renlund, his wife, and one security detail. Even though they had masks on, it was still very clear who they were.

 I have had the opportunity on multiple occasions to meet different general authorities. First was when I was in young women's, probably no older than 13. For an activity one week we had gone to the Joseph Smith Memorial Building to tour it and watch the Legacy movie. When we were leaving through the underground parking lot. President Hinckley, and his cute wife Marjorie, were riding on a golfcart. They stopped for a minute long enough for us all to say hi. 

My next experience was several years ago right after my acl surgery on my left knee. I was in physical therapy in Bountiful in the top floor of the renaissance tower and when I arrived the music was off, which seemed odd to me. They had just put me up on a table with heat on my knee to prepare it to start therapy. I usually had to sit there for about 15 min. As I was sitting there, I looked up to see a man in a suit standing next to a man on a bike. The man on the bike looked familiar, but it took me a second to place him, since I was used to seeing him in a suit from the pulpit in the conference center. It was, in fact, President Eyring. I did not ever speak with him, I frankly didn't want to bother him. Just feeling of the Spirit that surrounded him was enough for me. 

My next experience was in Costco of all places. Several years back Hen and I had gone to Costco for the usually miscellaneous items. We had stopped to have pizza and a churro likely and were seated at one of the tables. President Utchdorf walked past us on the way out carrying several 72 hour kits. Hen and I said to each other, "What does he know, that we should be preparing ourselves for?" "Maybe we should go back in and get some 72 hour kits..." Of course Hen jumped up and ran after him to say hi, since he has always been his favorite general authority. Hen told him he was going to flight school and the President told him to have fun doing that. Then Hen asked, do we need to also be getting 72 hour kits? The President chuckled and said, no these are just gifts for someone. While I did not run up to him and shake his hand, Hen and I could feel the Spirit of the legion of angels that surrounded him as he passed by us.

Another experience I had was in the last five years I think. One Sunday Hen had to travel to Seattle I think for training. We, at the time, were doing respite care with a kid in foster care named Breckin. Our bishop had told us to arrive at sacrament meeting 15 min early that day, but didn't tell anyone why. When Breckin and I arrived, I saw our bishop just standing out in the parking lot waiting. So we went up to him to say hi. I wanted to introduce Breckin to him. Just then a car pulled up and out steps President Nelson. He said good morning to Breckin and I and we replied, both in shock. Then we hurried inside the church building. President Nelson had come that day for his great great grandchild's baby blessing. I will never forget the feelings I felt and how Breckin was impacted that day to speak with our dear Prophet. 

Fast forward to yesterday and Elder Renlund. Hen and I could also feel the peaceful Spirit that accompanied him and his wife. It was astonishing how so many people were sitting around them, and coming and going and completely oblivious that an Apostle of our Savior and Lord Jesus Christ and special witness to him were sitting right there! I wanted to yell at the top of my lungs to tell everyone to stop and realize what a privilege it was to be here with him! After a minute Hen made this comment to me. "I was walking over to the buffet line and all I could think to myself was "to be in the world and not of the world" He of course was referring to the world at that moment as everyone that was around Elder Renlund but completely oblivious to his presence, while we knew that he was there. 

Again I did not approach him, because A-maybe he didn't want attention drawn to him, and B-because I never want to be a bother to people. So I headed towards the gate and Hen stayed behind. His comment was "it is so peaceful, just to be around that kind of Spirit, I'm not quite ready to leave". I also knew Hen was looking for an opportunity to go say hi. 

As I went down the escalator two of my co workers were going up and I shouted hi to them as they ran up the stairs. I got a quick wave back. This is a work trip I am going on with my whole company, so it isn't surprising to have seen them there. After I left those same two coworkers ended up sitting directly behind Elder Renlund, and one of them is a member. After they sat down, my husband got the courage to go up to Elder Renlund and said to him "I just want to tell you thank you for everything you are doing and we love you." Behind the mask I am sure he smiled and said thank you. 

Hen told me about this interaction once he got to the gate. He said, did your coworkers realize they were sitting next to him? I texted my coworker. He had no idea and was bummed he missed it. 

I honestly may have never noticed Elder Renlund was there if Hen hadn't pointed it out. But I am so grateful that he did. Always grateful to be in the presence of a Spiritual Giant and someone who is so close to our Savior.

To top things off, after arriving at the hotel and settling in, I turned to the next conference talk as I have been reading a whole talk, or part of one every night since conference ended in October. I am proud of myself to say I have actually not missed a day yet, but I digress. The talk that was next to read was Elder Renlunds, of course. I had no idea until I opened up my app. I turned to Hen and said what a coincidence! Hen said, that is not a coincidence.

Link to Elder Renlund's Talk

My favorite quote from this talk:

If we are not one, we are not His. My invitation is to be valiant in putting our love of God and discipleship of the Savior above all other considerations. Let us uphold the covenant inherent in our discipleship—the covenant to be one.

Let us follow the example of Saints from around the world who are successfully becoming disciples of Christ. We can rely on Jesus Christ, who “is our peace, who … hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; having abolished in his [atoning sacrifice] the enmity.” Our witness of Jesus Christ to the world will be strengthened, and we will remain spiritually healthy. I testify that as we “shun contention” and become “like-minded with the Lord in love and united with Him in faith,” His peace will be ours. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment