Let’s start today by discussing Miracles
what are some examples of
miracles from scriptures that have stood out to you over the years ?
Does God cease to give miracles today?
-SLIDE-read
moroni
Next Slide God can work miracles in my life.
Miracles
from God come in many forms- and range from
Change of heart, overcoming addiction, overcoming grief,
overcoming grudges/or hatred, to someone being healed
What are some miracles you have
experienced, or know that others have experienced?
Talked about both roof story and or story of driving on 215 as a teen
What has the prophet told us
about miracles? NEXT SLIDE
Expect them
“If I am humble and obedient, Jesus
Christ can heal me.”stmt from come follow me
What is one thing we must always remember to keep in mind-if it is
God’s will. The line from this talk that says “each of these miracles took time
and may not have been exactly what those individuals requested of the Lord”
This is important.
This week I read in D&C 130: 20-21
“20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the
foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to
that law upon which it is predicated.”
There was a family member recently who was frustrated with the
outcome on something they had been working on and was frustrated for God for
not helping them the way they through God should be helping them. And this
scripture actually frustrated them more. I had to remind them that we don’t get
to pick and choose the blessings or the miracles we get because of our
obedience, it is completely up to God’s will.
We must also not expect to change the agency of others
NEXT SLIDE
“They that
be with us are more than they that be with them.” From 2 Kings 6:16
As I was
preparing this lesson, a quote that really stood out to me was from Pres Eyring
from a talk in 2008.
Slide-Our
power to carry burdens can be increased more than enough to compensate for the
increased service we will be asked to give.
A little
over a week ago I was on vacation with my husband Henry in Florida. Before I
left for the trip, I had printed out all of the materials to study to prepare
for this lesson. Alas, between rest, pool, and beachtime, they stayed in my
suitcase. We arrived home on Saturday and come Sunday I was still tired from
our traveling.
As I
pondered on the thought of giving a lesson in a week, my natural man mind went
to. “I feel like I just taught” Am I really teaching already again?
This is
not because I don’t enjoy my calling, just more or less feeling exhaustion, and
let’s face it whiney.
So as I
listened to this talk by Elder Eyring, I truly felt uplifted with the
remembrance that I would receive help to accomplish the task that had been
asked of me.
Even
though this talk was originally given to a priesthood session of conference, I
believe it applies to all of us. I would like us to watch some of this talk
now.
Pass out
highlighters and talk
Next slide-Pres Eyring
Watch
beginning to 3:52 and 5:03-8:10 Link to Pres Eyring Talk
As you
watch please underline anything that brings comfort to you, strength to you, or
inspires you.
Next slide
Did any passage from this talk bring anyone comfort?
Did any passage from this talk bring anyone strength?
Did any passage from this talk bring inspiration?
Scattering
and Gathering of Israel
Have
everyone turn here and pick one section- Link to Scattering of Israel Doc
Either
SLIDE
The intro-
Is anyone willing to summarize this section or share
something that stood out to them?
Why did the Israelites start
worshipping other God’s? Why did they reject that God who had saved them time
and time again?
How can we stay true to the
Lord during challenging times?
-Covid-could not attend church in a building, but could study
scriptures, confrerence talks, come follow me
How has the Lord sustained you
during challenging times?
SLIDE
The scattering-
Is anyone willing to summarize this section or share
something that stood out to them?
How can we keep ourselves from
being numbered as one of the scattered
How can we keep our sense of
identity as God’s covenant people?
How can understanding the
scattering of Israel help us understand the book of Mormon?
SLIDE
The gathering-
What does gathering mean? “Bringing
God’s children back to him”
“The Lord doesn’t forget
His people, nor does He fully forsake them, even when they have forsaken Him.”
D&C 101:16- “Therefore let your hearts be comforted concerning
Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God.”
What are ways we can gather
israel? – Let God Prevail in our own lives, be an example, temple work,
missionary work
SLIDE
Come Home-
What is the message to the
Gatherers?
Quote: Elder D. Todd Christofferson
“To perservere firm and steadfast in the faith of Christ requires
that the gospel of Jesus Christ penetrate one’s heart and soul.”
How can we achieve this
principle and help others to achieve it as well?
SLIDE The scriptures can turn my heart to the Lord.
Have you ever felt that you were lacking
something spiritually?
Maybe you felt that your relationship with
God could be a lot stronger.
What helped you turn back to Him?
President
Kimball once said that “The story of King Josiah in the Old Testament is a most
profitable one to “liken … unto [our]selves.” (1 Ne. 19:24.) To me, it is one
of the finest stories in all of the scriptures.”
Watch
video 12:25 minutes Link to video of Josiah (scroll down page)
slide
2nd Kings 23:25-
25 And like unto him was there no aking before him, that bturned to the Lord with all his heart, and with all his soul,
and with all his might, according to all the law of Moses; neither after him
arose there any like
him.
How does the story of Josiah apply to our lives today?
What stands out to me from this
story are two things:
First-in the scriptures it talks
about how his father and the father before him were wicked.
If I were to be mentioned in
scripture, what would they say about me?
It is definitely worth pondering.
The Second thing that stood out
to me what that once Josiah found the book of law he recognized that it was of
the Lord.
Like Josiah there are many in
this world searching for truth, and there are many that will one day find it,
and there are others who have that truth right in front of them, and they allow
satan to blind them to these truths.
Also to
note that even though the people were wicked, The Lord answered Josiah’s
prayers and gave him back the book of the law-, the Lord did not forsake the
people.
Conclusion:
Today we have talked
about Miracles-in many forms. Whether it be the changing of our hearts, the
increased capacity to fulfill our callings, the miracle of the gathering of
Israel that we can be apart of if we choose, and the miracle of an Israelite
king who overcame all of the wickedness before him.
I pray that something
today that we have discussed has touched your heart, or mind and inspired you
to commit more fully to what our prophet has said “nothing else compares in
magnitude, nothing else compares in importance, nothing else compares in
majesty” which is the Gathering of Israel, to bring God’s children back to him.
I say these things in
the name of jesus Christ, amen
Slide
Closing
Prayer
No comments:
Post a Comment