As per usual I am super behind in posting. I just haven't felt like typing on the computer lately if it hasn't been for work, but there were a few things I wanted to remember from my time in the Temple yesterday.
First, during our prayer meeting Sister Christenson shared D&C 4. And said that even though these scriptures are usually in reference to missionary work, that they apply to us as ordinance workers just as much.
How right she is! As I read it in the context of the service we are performing in the temple it is truly applicable.
She also directed us to the last verse and the symbolism of how it relates to the ordinances we perform in the temple.
So grateful for her insight and sharing her testimony with us.
1 Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men.
2 Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.
3 Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work;
4 For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul;
5 And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work.
6 Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence.
7 Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Amen.
After this she asked us sisters "Has the temple changed you in any way while you have served here." There were so many wonderful responses the sisters shared. One that I could relate to was from Sister Lewis. She said that her spirit is offended so much more easily by things that are not good and it is easier to control what she allows herself to be exposed to. I imagine she is referring to tv, radio, social media, movies etc. I absolutely feel the same way! My spirit is definitely more sensitive to things not of God and of Satan and quickly recognizes things I should stay away from.
I rose my hand as well and shared a couple of things. First I shared that I have had more spiritual growth in the last year serving in the temple than I have in the previous 38 years of my life. Also that I have felt more courage to be a better example and disciple of our Savior Jesus Christ in my social life. And thirdly, I have always felt that the highest degrees of Celestial Glory were only reserved for Prophets Wives and women so much more righteous than I could ever be. But in the last year, instead of feeling inadequate, I have felt a desire to be able to achieve the same, no matter what it takes. My thirst for righteousness has definitely increased. I am so grateful for the time I am able to serve in the temple.
It is not always easy. For example I stood for almost 3 hours, and I was overheated and sweating profusely most of the time yesterday, but it was still wonderful to be in such a wonderful place and knowing that I am needed and useful to those who come.
While in the marriage waiting room with another sister, we were talking about loved ones that have left the church. She brought up the below talk where the brother spoke about primary and secondary questions and if we focus on the secondary questions we will lose sight of the primary questions. This talk is definitely worth reading. So many great insights are shared. The distinction between the two types of questions really rang true to me. If we focus on the primary questions 1-4 below, the secondary questions really don't matter. "They take care of themselves" so to speak. So grateful for all the wonderful knowledge I gain from my time spent in the temple.
"Primary Questions and Secondary Questions
Begin by answering the primary questions. There are primary questions and there are secondary questions. Answer the primary questions first. Not all questions are equal and not all truths are equal. The primary questions are the most important. Everything else is subordinate. There are only a few primary questions. I will mention four of them.
1. Is there a God who is our Father?
2. Is Jesus Christ the Son of God, the Savior of the world?
3. Was Joseph Smith a prophet?
4. Is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints the kingdom of God on the earth?
By contrast, the secondary questions are unending. They include questions about Church history, polygamy, people of African descent and the priesthood, women and the priesthood, how the Book of Mormon was translated, the Pearl of Great Price, DNA and the Book of Mormon, gay marriage, the different accounts of the First Vision, and on and on.
If you answer the primary questions, the secondary questions get answered too, or they pale in significance and you can deal with things you understand and things you don’t and things you agree with and things you don’t without jumping ship altogether."
After the marriage waiting room assignment, I then spent time in the chapel for an hour, and then ended my shift in the Celestial Room. It really has been months and months since I have performed these tasks so I was a little rusty but I still enjoyed my time in each of those locations.
At the end of my shift as I was getting dressed in the locker room, one of the sisters (Sis Howell) that I love came up to me and said, you are part of the Layton or Salt Lake group too right? I said no, I will be staying here, I just live down the street.
She jumped for joy! She said "Kara you just made my day!" I was so surprised by how excited she was that she knew I would be staying. You see over 60% of the workers in the Bountiful Temple will be going to the Layton Temple as soon as it opens in January. There is also a large group that will go back to the Salt Lake Temple once that is opened, and another group that will go to the Tooele temple once that is opened. So really there are very few of us that are actually from this area that will stay at this temple.
Her love and kindness also made my day!
I received many other compliments that day as well. While I was working in the marriage waiting room earlier, my job was to usher the wedding guests back down the marble stairway, so they didn't go wandering around in just their church clothes, since most areas of the temple we wear white clothes only. As I was standing there ushering, another sister that I love, Sis Miner came up to me and said you are such a beautiful welcome sight to those who come up the stairs. I said you are too kind. She said, I'm not being kind, I'm being honest. She said I can't lie in the temple with a big smile!
Also as I was standing there Pres Christenson came by to ask me how things were going. He said you have a fun job, I replied, ya I kind of feel like a bouncer. He laughed. Then I said to him, I think you know my husband, Henry Becker. He said oh yes, of course I do! He is so engaging and never boring. He said I can see how you two are alike. LOL
After the temple I headed to the grocery store to get some items for dinner. After getting home, I was exhausted and nauseous from the heat, standing, and not eating for long time. Hen had taken off work because he wasn't feeling well and cooked everyone dinner. Chicken and Rice for Oscar because he has had bad diarrhea and burgers on the grill for us. Then we spent the evening playing games. SkipBo, Settlers of Catan, and Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy on the Switch.
After reading my scriptures-I'm in first Nephi again having just finished the Book of Mormon, reading part of a conference talk, and reading the above talk I mentioned, I fell fast asleep. Luckily Oscar didn't have me up all night like the night before. So glad he is doing better.
No comments:
Post a Comment