Sunday, June 27, 2021

Love is the natural consequence of service



Shift #3

This morning was thankfully less eventful. I arrived at the temple a half hour early to spend some time reviewing our training materials. Earlier in the week I had purchased, in bulk, some white hand held fans for the sisters since the room we meet in seems to be overly warm. A few of the sisters that had them already said they got them from the Salt Lake Temple. I knew I, and others, would greatly benefit from them so I was able to purchase 36 fans reasonably to share. I think people normally use them for weddings and, in fact, I don't even remember seeing the option to buy only one or two. 

I checked the schedule before going into our prayer meeting. My name was at the very top in alphabetical order. "Baptistry Assistant". My first thought was SWEET! I was so excited. I thought, that is the best place for me to start. After prayer meeting I returned my training materials upstairs and then headed back down to the baptistry. I was met by 3 sweet sisters that would be showing me the ropes. The first job I had was to assist those performing baptisms for the dead by signaling to them when it was their turn to come up. As I sat there watching each baptism take place, my heart was touched by the spirit on some particular names that were read and by those youth that were being baptized, I was grateful there were kleenex nearby to wipe my tears. Their Christlike angelic countenances were so bright as they came up at of the water. What a beautiful service these youth were performing for those that have since had to leave their body here on earth that is needed to perform these ordinances. Henry and I have had the opportunity to do baptisms for some of his family members, some he has even known in this life, and we have felt the Spirit so strong when doing their names. They are memories we will never easily forget. 

My next task was to go to the Baptistry waiting area and greet all those who entered the temple on that level and direct them where to go upstairs to checkin. I was also in charge of organizing each baptism group that had scheduled hour long appointments. I loved this position as well. So many wonderful people to meet and greet and say farewell to as they left for the day. How wonderful it was to greet everyone with a smile and feel of their excited Spirit as this was most patrons (a person who comes to the temple who is not a worker) first time back to the temple in over a year. The joy in their smiles and the the spirit they brought were so invigorating. There were a few individuals that walked out and I could feel the Spirit so strong and knew they were walking out with angels to protect them. 

As one sister came walking down the ramp I could feel the weight of the world on her shoulders. She seemed so tired, but glad to be there. She walked to the elevator and I felt prompted to give her my fan. I had been so warm up to that point, these dresses, while beautiful, do not breathe well. She graciously accepted it before getting on the elevator. I walked back to my spot and instantly felt cooler for a while, and grateful I had followed the prompting to give her my fan. Next week, I think I will keep two in my pocket and I must also remember to wear a watch. 

I made it a habit to not wear a watch in the temple because then I am always tempted to watch the time and be thinking I have this much time until this or that, and when I am a patron I think it is still a good practice not to wear a watch. Time is such an earthly battle and I love being "on vacation" from time while I am serving as a patron in the temple. But as a worker, it is important for me to know what time it is. So note to self, make sure your watch has batteries for next week. 

Another sister came walking down the ramp in black pants and a blouse with camera in hand. It was obvious she was there to take pictures for a wedding that was taking place. As she walked towards me she apologized profusely for the pants she was wearing and asked where she should go. I told her she was totally fine and directed her upstairs to the lobby since no photos are allowed in the temple. I could tell she felt out of place but I was actually so happy to see her. Being in the temple changes you in so many ways. I felt so much love for every person I came in contact with. I was so glad that she had the opportunity to set foot in the temple even briefly so that she could feel of the spirit here. I hope it left an impression on her to want to know more someday. 

As the groups to perform baptisms arrived, some were families, some were from wards, some were big groups, and others small. For some of the youth it was the very first time they had ever been to a temple. What a wonderful experience and blessing for all of them to be able to do such special work.

The last job I had was to be the hostess to the groups coming in. I directed them where to go and explained where everything was in the locker room for the girls and then as they finished would show them to confirmations and then when the whole group was done would direct them back out to the lobby. For all the nervous first time youth that were hesitant going in not knowing what to expect, as each walked out they were grinning from ear to ear. 

As I drove home and saw people walking on the sidewalks all I could think to myself is, what is their story, where have then been in life? I truly felt a love for these strangers I had never felt before. I can feel the temple changing me even more than I realized it would.

There is a great article on the Church's website called the Four Blessings of the Temple. I have provided the link below and is worth reading to gain a greater understanding of why people go to the temple. I have listed a couple of quotes from this article that stood out to me below.

Link to Four Blessings of the Temple

I love this quote from this article "In this world we may receive many gifts—cars, money, beautiful homes, educational degrees, and fame in our professions. But none of these compares to the light and revelation that comes to us in the temple. Why is this so? Because there is a special spirit in the temple that can bring us direction and peace in our lives."

"A fourth blessing of the temple is receiving the knowledge that we are a part of a great cause. This is an uplifting feeling—to know that we are a part of an inspired and very real plan headed by the Lord Jesus Christ himself. We are part of the preparation for his second coming.

One of the great revelations of the temple to those who go often is the reality and nearness of the spirit world. While serving in the Provo Temple, I can say that we felt the presence of the spirits of this unseen kingdom. Often it feels as if one is standing in the midst of eternity with no veil separating this life from the next.

How great is the unseen, but definitely felt, spirit world! It contains hundreds of times more people than our mortal world. Perhaps millions there have not heard a gospel presentation. President Joseph F. Smith saw in vision the hosts of the spirit world being taught the gospel by the priesthood. (See D&C 138:29–31.)

Every one of the individuals we do work for in the temples may receive the Lord’s promises if they are ready to receive them. They may accept the gospel, and the men have the opportunity of receiving the priesthood. And once they are organized, they may preach to the rest of the spirits.

People without faith doubt that every one of God’s children has the chance of accepting the gospel. They do not know that the faithful are working as hard or even harder in the spirit world than we are to move God’s plan along. Our concern should be to perform the ordinances for the dead so that they will not be held back. No wonder the Prophet Joseph Smith referred to temple work as “a voice of gladness.” No wonder we sing, “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those that bring glad tidings of good things, and that say unto Zion: Behold, thy God reigneth!” (D&C 128:19.)"

No comments:

Post a Comment