Sunday, April 10, 2022

A Date with Myself

                                                   

Since the Bountiful Temple is closed for a few weeks for cleaning, I made an appointment for an endowment session at the Brigham City Temple on Saturday for the 11:30am session. I couldn't find anyone to go with me, so I just decided to go by myself. I set a goal for myself to always go to the temple once a week and I failed for my first time last week because I ended up going to Vegas and cancelling the appointment I had made to go out of town. I am disappointed in myself for breaking my streak of almost a year not missing one week, but what can I do? I can't get that week back, so I am just going to have to start again, and try not to miss any more weeks. 

I woke up early Saturday morning and did some work down in my office, paid some bills, but quickly I was running out of time. I knew I needed to leave the house no later than 10am to be able to get there in time to get dressed. Because work took longer than I intended, I ended up leaving at 10:07. I didn't even have time to do my hair, only had enough time to shower and put on very minimal makeup. I got in the car with name in hand, Jessie Low. 

Jessie Low is Henry's Great Grandaunt. In other words, she is Henry's Grandfather Becker's, Mom's, Sister. And Henry actually knew this great grandmother when he was little, known as Mimi. 

I have had Aunt Jessie's name for a while. I had completed her baptism and confirmation back in December 2019, then her initiatory in January 2020 (right before covid hit). So it felt very special to be able to complete her personal work by being proxy for her endowment. 

As I sat in the car getting everything situated to make the hour long drive north, plugged in my phone, turned my Pandora station to Motab (they are now known as the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square), I said out loud to Jessie and Mimi, "Ladies please help me get there safely and in one piece." I felt like they were with me in the car the whole way up I-15. 

So many beautiful hymns played as I traveled northward. "If You Could Hie to Kolob", "The Spirit of God", "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" and so many more. I felt the Spirit on more than one occasion and had a few tears trickle down. Which had made my mascara run a bit and I didn't notice until I was standing in front of a mirror in the locker room much later.

As I pulled up to the Brigham City Temple, I was reminded of when I came with the young women of my old ward to tour it during it's open house back in August of 2012.(Blog Post Tour Link) I was also reminded of when I came to serve with my Dad back in 2014. (Blog Post Link)

After parking and walking through the gates, I was greeted by beautiful Tulips everywhere, of so many colors. I didn't have my phone on me, otherwise I would have taken some pictures. As I arrived at the front doors,  motion censors trigged both doors to open unexpectedly in front of me, like I was about to walk down the aisle of church for a wedding or something. It felt almost magical, like I was Cinderella.

 As I greeted the front desk workers they scanned my name and said "Welcome Sister Becker, I see you are here for an Endowment Session". "I said yes, I am a worker at the Bountiful Temple and since ours is closed, I am borrowing yours today." They said they were so glad that I had come. 

I took the elevator up to the third floor and to the locker room to get changed into my white clothing. For some reason I really struggled with figuring out my way around this temple, I kept going the wrong direction even though the sweet sister workers were every few feet instructing me where to go. This temple is seriously a maze! But I am going to try to remember so that I don't get so turned around next time. 

I had forgotten over the years how exquisitely beautiful this temple is! While everything that happens in that temple procedurally is exactly the same as every other temple in the world, the inside decor was very different from the Bountiful temple. So many intricate patterns and beautiful white's and browns. I have included a link below so that you can see what I mean. 

Inside the Brigham City Temple Pics

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Brigham City temple and will definitely be returning in the future. After the temple, I stopped at Maddox's (my favorite restaurant) for some lunch. I feel like I have been dining in restaurants more and more by myself these days. Which is ok, but I know a lot of people that would never dare to do that. And while the food was absolutely delicious, the noise was really hard to handle. I almost wished I had ear plugs. Saturdays are probably their busiest days. I think after spending so much quiet time in the temple, my ears were extra sensitive to all of the clanking of dishes and conversations that were happening. It felt nice to get back in the car to peace and quiet. 

Next was a stop next door to Alpine Gardens. They have a lot of fun yard art that has become my favorite thing to add to our swimspa area outside. I picked up a few new pieces and headed on my way back to Bountiful.

My last stop was to At Home where I picked up some storage bins and a few Easter decor items for my bookshelves. 

And at last I was home. It's been a while since I have driven that much. Between the medication I am taking and driving alone, I was extremely drowsy by the time I made it home and took a much needed nap. 

So grateful I had the opportunity to go to the temple and to finish Aunt Jessie's work. Also so grateful I didn't have to wear a mask in the temple! This is still a new enough change, that I am trying not to take for granted. Also, it wasn't too long ago that all the temples in the world were completely closed due to covid, so I am grateful to be able to serve there.




No comments:

Post a Comment