Saturday, April 9, 2022

Catching Up

This is the problem with getting behind, like crazy behind, because I know there have been some things I wanted to record over the last few weeks, but have now forgotten them. 

Here are some things I do remember. 

So many tender mercies over the last few weeks.

On Wednesday, April 30th, I decided to go to last Vegas at the very last minute. I had a temple appointment I had signed up for on Thursday of that week and would need to cancel it to go. I decided to selfishly take this trip, cancel my temple appointment, and break my goal of trying to go to the temple once a week. So most people would probably think, I would be punished for this selfish decision, and yet I wasn't. The Lord was still kind enough to help me out in more ways than one. 

First-I was taking a standby flight that day. I literally got the last seat on the plane. No other standby's made it on the plane. Second-not only did I get the last seat, but I got an aisle seat! How is that even possible? Always the last seats available on planes are middle seats! I was soooo grateful, even with the hour flight to get to have an aisle seat.

Then we were upgraded to an absolutely beautiful suite that is in the Spa Tower of the Bellagio far away from the casino, which is where I like to stay. 

I was so grateful that for the whole trip, the pups were taken care of at boarding, Hen was able to come out for a couple nights, I had great weather at the pool, a super fun time at the Carrie Underwood concert. Which, I was wondering if she would sing "How Great Thou Art", and I kept thinking in my mind, how in the world would she work that song into a Vegas show? Well she did it! Half way through "Jesus take the Wheel", she switched to "How Great Thou Art". She did it in a very tasteful and beautiful way. I was so proud of her. I don't know if that song has ever been sung in a theater in Vegas. 

Then on Saturday we were headed back home. Again on a standby flight and I was given an aisle seat again, and this time, no one was in the middle seat! Even better! And it was even economy comfort! 

Another interesting situation that keeps coming to my mind, was one day when I was swimming laps in the pool. There was a girl who could have easily been a model and most guys idea of a perfect "10". Tall and skinny, in a bikini with not much being left to the imagination sitting on the side of the pool with legs in the water.

I got in the pool to start my laps and caught her eyes, I smiled, and she smiled back. Then about 15 minutes later as I was swimming past her, she says to me "I'm living vicariously through you." I was so caught off guard but wanted to return the compliment, so my response was "Ditto". 

I will never know why exactly she was thinking that. It could have been because she didn't know how to swim, or thought she should be swimming laps instead of just lounging, but if that were the case, why wouldn't she just swim laps? The other thought that occurred to me, is maybe she looked at me and thought "I bet this girl eats whatever she wants and I never get to eat what I want." 

Again who knows what she was thinking, but the fact that she envied me, who looks like a giant clumsy seal in the water, with rolls for days in my swimsuit, and more chins, than I like to count, just goes to show, that the grass isn't always greener. 

My looks may not even register on the 10 point scale, but at my age of 38, I can assess that I do have some things I can be proud of that I have overcome in my life, and blessed beyond my wildest dreams, with family, career, home, traveling, and most of all my testimony that remains to still be my greatest possession.

 Of course this girl, didn't know any of these things about me. But I think that is why finally I have some confidence in myself after all these years. I am far from perfection, but I know the road I have traveled and the addictions, and mental health, and sins I have overcome along the way, of course not on my own, but with the help of my Heavenly Father, Savior, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. 


No comments:

Post a Comment