Sunday, June 26, 2022

Scripture References

This is a post I meant to write a long time ago. Atleast over a month ago. On a piece of paper I had written on at the temple two scripture references:

3rd Nephi 9: It is worthwhile to read the whole chapter so that you can understand the context of these verses (and actually starting with chapter 8 will be even more helpful for context), but what really stood out to me and what I kept rereading over and over again in the temple were vs 13-22.

Such powerful words the Savior is speaking directly to every inhabitant of the Earth.

Link to 3rd Nephi Chapter 9

13 O all ye that are spared because ye were more righteous than they, will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you?

14 Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me.

15 Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God. I created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are. I was with the Father from the beginning. I am in the Father, and the Father in me; and in me hath the Father glorified his name.

16 I came unto my own, and my own received me not. And the scriptures concerning my coming are fulfilled.

17 And as many as have received me, to them have I given to become the sons of God; and even so will I to as many as shall believe on my name, for behold, by me redemption cometh, and in me is the law of Moses fulfilled.

18 I am the light and the life of the world. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.

19 And ye shall offer up unto me no more the shedding of blood; yea, your sacrifices and your burnt offerings shall be done away, for I will accept none of your sacrifices and your burnt offerings.

20 And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost, even as the Lamanites, because of their faith in me at the time of their conversion, were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not.

21 Behold, I have come unto the world to bring redemption unto the world, to save the world from sin.

22 Therefore, whoso repenteth and cometh unto me as a little child, him will I receive, for of such is the kingdom of God. Behold, for such I have laid down my life, and have taken it up again; therefore repent, and come unto me ye ends of the earth, and be saved.

After creating this post I decided to also add to Facebook with the hopes that someone else might find motivation or inspiration to follow our Savior Jesus Christ.

My post:  "In my days as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ, many scriptures have become my favorites over the years. But recently I believe I have found my number one favorite chapter. It is found in 3rd Nephi Chapter 9. It is worth reading the chapter header and the beginning of the chapter for context (and maybe even chapter 8 to understand why all the destruction took place), but my favorite verses are 13-22 in Chapter 9. 

I think it is my favorite because our Savior is speaking directly to all inhabitants that have ever lived or will ever live on this earth. There is no way to not feel his love from these verses. 

Enjoy."

Link to 3rd Nephi Chapter 9

and


Hebrews 12:2

There was another worker who was frantically looking through the scriptures while we were waiting to go assist in an endowment session for a scripture she wanted to share with us all. By the end of the shift she never found it. The following week I asked her if she figured it out and she said that she had. 

This was the scripture Hebrews 12:2

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

This sister told me to focus on the word Joy. Even though the joy represented here is his atonement in Gethsemane which we usually always associate with excruciating pain. The word joy is used because it was this act that enables us to have the opportunity to return to live with our Father in Heaven and our Savior again. I admit, I have never associated joy with that experience our Savior suffered and endured, but I can see now that he sacrificed because of his love for us and that is why it was his joy to be able to accomplish the most important task in all of eternity.

I am so grateful for our Savior, Jesus Christ. I am grateful not only for his sacrifice and love and guidance and example, but that through him I have the opportunity to pray daily to our Father in Heaven for whatever I am in need of or am grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment